Wednesday, October 10, 2012

CULTURE CHAPTER 3

          Culture is  the collection of values, beliefs, knowledge, norms, language, behaviors, and material objects shared by a people and socially transmitted from generation to generation. Culture is all around us these days. We live in the United States of America and every where we turn we see different culture all around us. This is a land of immigrants and day by day we have to learn to except others for who they are and what principals they live by. In our world today we need to respect each and everyone we come across our day to day lives. As we study sociology and see that the definition of a society is a group of people who live together in a specific territory and share a culture, we can certainly combine the two together and see how they go hand in hand.
          Material culture is the physical objects produced by people in a particular culture. This is why we see different people in different clothing and its all because they have a different insight on clothing only because of there culture. Some people who migrate from their countries would come to New York and build house which for them would appear normal but for others would be abnormal.  Nonmaterial culture is the ideas of the culture, including values and beliefs, accumulated knowledge about how to understand and navigate the world, and standards or "norms" about appropriate behavior. This is basically what ideas a particular culture believes in, the ideas that they pass on to future generations.
          I immigrated to this country when I was only ten years old and I had to start a whole new different life. I didn't know the norms of this society. I didn't know how to dress, how to speak properly, what was normal, what clothes to wear and what not to wear. All of these things I had to take into consideration even though I was only ten years old but I got through it. It took a while for me to get familiar with the norms of this culture but I got it. I had to learn about the ideology of this new culture that I was facing but at the end and ten years later I concerned it. I'm not going to lie and say it was a  piece of cake because it wasn't but as time passed and with help from my friends and family I got through it.
        In our world today we are exposed to so many different cultures around us. This gives us an opportunity to get to know little bits of the world everyday. We can meet so many people from different parts of the world just by taking the train to and from work. There are ups and down to this situation, where diversity can take place. Conflict can form itself because someone beliefs can be different from others and this can lead to social inequality among our day to day lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment